Using data to save lives


Tags:
  0 Comments

Here’s how to see the data that tech giants have about you

Personal data is a valuable commodity and until the recent Facebook-Cambridge Analytica scandal hit the headlines many consumers were unaware how vast troves of personal data were being collected, stored, and shared for commercial gain. The intense scrutiny of Facebook's data policies and practices—and the introduction of new legislation giving European Union (EU) citizens greater control over their personal data—has led users to raise questions about their data on other platforms...
Continue reading
  0 Comments

How a blockchain startup raised $19.5M in 48 hours to rent your computer storage space

Blockchain startup Bluezelle aims to replace cloud database services, such as those offered by Oracle and Amazon, with a decentralized database service for businesses to store their data. "As more apps are built, and more devices are being used per person, there's an exponential increase in the need for data storage. But the current internet infrastructure isn't ready to support that, and that's why you have all this unreliability and data breaches," says CEO and co-founder Pavel Bain. In Sim Ya...
Continue reading
  0 Comments

Datasheets could be the solution to biased AI

Artificial intelligence (AI) isn't immune to the "garbage in, garbage out" concept. If you train a neural network using flawed data, you'll get a flawed solution. In the words of Facebook AI research scientist Moustapha Cissé, "You are what you eat, and right now we feed our models junk food." And "just like you can't eat better if you don't know what's in your food, you can't train less biased models if you don't know what's in your training data," writes Sam Charrington. Here, he explores prop...
Continue reading
  0 Comments

Cambridge Analytica and Facebook's data problem


  0 Comments

The GDPR – a Great Dirty Pain in the Rectum - or an opportunity?

​ On 25 May 2018 the GDPR comes into force in Europe – the world's largest, single digital market – and any company handling the data of data subjects who live in any of the 28 EU Member States must be GDPR compliant, or risk facing hefty penalties of 4% of total global turnover or €20 million, whichever is greater. The GDPR outlines the responsibilities of Data Controllers (organisations that process personal data) and Data Processors (companies that provide data hosting services) as well as th...
Continue reading
  0 Comments

5 ways to protect your data from cyber thieves

Data is the lifeblood of many companies and, whether it occurs through security breaches, hardware or software malfunctions, human errors, or natural disasters, loss of data can be disastrous for business. it’s vital to have a plan in place to protect your data and to help your business recover quickly following any loss of data and yet, according to a survey, only 36 percent of small businesses have such a plan in place. If your business is among the other 64 percent, here are five top tips to ...
Continue reading
Tags:
  0 Comments

From the Community

Pinned Items
Recent Activities
There are no activities here yet

Join Today!

  • #ShapingtheOdds is completely free to join and use, and community members buy into the pay-it-forward philosophy of openly sharing help, knowledge, ideas and advice to fellow community members. 

    Register below, or read more here!

  • We recommend that you register and log in using the Facebook button.