Around this time of the year, one of my favourite activities is reflecting back on what some of my biggest lessons in life, business and success have been for the year-to-date.
So what have been some of the biggest lessons that 2017 has taught me?
Here are a few highlights from what was a pretty long list…
- Regular self-evaluation is important in awakening our self-awareness as being unaware is like thinking tomorrow will be totally different while inwardly you remain the same.
- Meditation offers the opportunity to embark on the greatest adventure the human mind can take. It is also a quality that can be brought to anything.
- Happiness (or any other emotional state for that matter) must not be tied to an outcome, because we rarely have control over outcomes (some turn out better than we expect, some worse). What we do have control over is how we show up everyday, the daily choices we make and the standards we hold ourselves up to. Happiness therefore, comes more from the pursuit of our visions, combined with a sense of gratitude for what we already have.
- No one achieves the lasting rewards of success by being a conformist.
- When the mind has clarity of vision, it will find a way to bring it to you. First comes clarity, then commitment to taking action by understanding your 'why', and then getting to work on the 'how'.
- Be 'Unfuckwithable', meaning that when you're truly at peace and in touch with yourself, nothing anyone says or does bothers you and no negativity can touch you.
- Always give people more than they expect to get.
- How we choose to spend our time each day will either take us closer to who we want to be or further away from it. Because how we spend our time reflects what is most important to us right now.
- Commitment, consistency and patience are powerful characteristics of those that eventually manifest their bold visions.
- Expand your network and your curiosity beyond just the industry you work in, because it is this that will help provide you with new perspectives, creative insights and innovative ideas that you can apply to your life and/or business.
- You never get to the top alone. Working with coaches, mentors and accountability partners has a ridiculously powerful impact on your progress.
- Those who are ultimately successful are pro-active initiators and often begin before they are 'ready' or the time is 'perfect'.
- Everyone loves to be appreciated.
- Beginning everyday with some form of exercise (gym workout, yoga, swimming, Barry's Bootcamp, etc) elevates your energy levels, puts your mind in a phenomenally peak state and makes you ready to take on whatever the day may throw at you.
- 'Comparisonitis' – the act of comparing your progress, life and success to others – and caring what others may think about you will hold you back. Focus on You vs. You and whether the decisions you take are aligned with who you want to be. Progress is the key thing that matters here and if you're better than who you were last week, month and year, then you're moving forwards. Keep going!
Now, my question to you…
What have been some of the biggest lessons and insights that 2017 has taught YOU?
I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below ?
Blog courtesy of Simon Alexander Ong